The Black, White, and Pink Blog and the Wicked Stepmother

Everyone – or most everyone – who came across my post from yesterday about a blog written by a woman who seems to be full of contempt and anger towards her stepdaughter, a young girl with Down syndrome is understandably concerned.  The blog leaves readers with the impression that the girl is certainly in harm’s way, and the woman seems to have no qualms writing about her disgust and disdain for the girl, and interweaving her commentary with heavy doses of Christianity, which, to be honest, makes her sound all the more bizarre and sick.

I’ve received so many comments that I wanted to update with what I know at this point.

I am concerned, too.  I’ve been heartsick over it, wondering how this little girl is, wondering if there is anyone looking out for her.  Her father left two comments here yesterday: the first one asking if anyone has tried to help rather than just passing judgment, and the next one basically saying that the situation is under control and they don’t need anyone’s help or concern.

I don’t know what to make of any of it.  Some have questioned if the woman is even for real – I wondered this myself.  I’ve had enough experience with internet trolls on message boards to wonder.  If you’re unaware of what a troll is, it’s someone who concocts a false identity and elaborate stories that get a lot of people distressed.  They do this for a variety of reasons: boredom, loneliness, and just plain being whack.  I don’t know if this woman is for real or not; she’s easy enough to find on Pinterest and Facebook, but that doesn’t mean much.  There are apparently people who have had private contact with her and believe her to be for real.  As of today, she has made her blog viewable by invitation only, so I guess she’s not liking the outrage, concern, and negative feedback so much.

A fellow Ds parent contacted the local Down syndrome organization where this family apparently lives, and the organization assured the parent that they are aware of the blog and the family and that the situation is not being ignored.  A lot of people are aware, concerned, and are doing what they can.

, , ,

15 Responses to The Black, White, and Pink Blog and the Wicked Stepmother

1. Alyson January 30, 2013 at 1:39 am #

I am glad to hear that but I also wondered if the situation was real. I was so sick over the postings I couldn’t even comment after reading it

2. Hannah January 30, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Thanks for the update. I couldn’t even put together a sentence in order to respond to the said blog, if it was real, then I am definitely concerned also. Glad to hear that there is a wider community around the family and hopefully they can help.

3. Jen Marie January 30, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

thank you for updating and i am glad they know what is going on. :)

4. CarolV January 30, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

Thank you for this. Her blog posts were heartbreaking.

5. soundtek January 30, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

I am so glad you did a follow up post b/c its just been worrying me since I read it.

Although I wonder more about the dad now than the mom… how could you marry someone and then continue to put up with her when she says all of this publicly about your daughter… I find that strange

I hope something gets done

6. Tammy January 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

I think the reason why her husband stays is because maybe, just maybe, he really doesn’t care THAT much for his daughter. Maybe his attraction to his new wife (the blogger) trumps any parental love that he has for the little girl.

I think that they figured that since the girl probably has no one to complain to, or even knows how to complain, they could just kind of…ignore her. Not neglect like letting her starve or go unclothed, or dirty, but neglect as in…not really expressing much love because they see her as less than human; you know, the whole, “Hey, she can’t complain” kind of thing.

After all, one of the blogger’s fans wrote this in a comment to her: “Don’t worry; I doubt she understands pain.”

Right, because people with Down’s Syndrome don’t realize it when someone hates them, because they don’t feel pain. *Rolls eyes*

7. CJ January 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

She still has her two previous blogs up.

You have caused a stir.

8. Stacey January 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Looks like she’s blocked that one now, too!

9. Sue January 30, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

From my brief read of what you posted and the father’s response and HIS blog, he’s got his own issues and isn’t going to be coming to the rescue any time soon. Hopefully shining the light on this will help. Thank you.

10. Red January 31, 2013 at 12:01 am #

Thank you for the update, Lisa!

I was the person who posted about it on GOMI, and the thread took off very quickly. I felt that this situation deserved all of the attention that it could possibly get. Thank you for speaking up for this poor child, and lets hope that something is finally done about it!

11. Lucy January 31, 2013 at 7:15 am #

I fear for the liitle girl even more now, is the step mum raging? Is she blaming her for this negative attention? Will she make sure she suffers more now? The woman is not just emotionally unstable but obviously very dangerous. The dad seems no better. It is his job to ensure the safety of his child, contrary to how much praying he does he needs to man up and remove that child from danger. Guessing that he may have as many issues as his wife.

The school? can they not intervene?

12. Ellen S. (@LoveThatMax) February 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Thank you, Lisa, for raising awareness about this situation; I was relieved to hear that the local DS organization is has been involved. The intolerance and hatred is both horrific and mind-boggling. I’m going to write about this.

13. Deb February 4, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Thank you for the update and that Downs Org is aware. On a forum I belong to someone posted link to this vile womana’s facebook page that had link to her blog, and was easy to find her husbands fb page and her equally disturbed mothers blog. With all these clues was easy to find their address and online wedding album…unfortunately all of this is real and not a hoax or the work of a troll. Again thanks for putting this out there & for the update.

14. Rorybore March 12, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

you know what would be very sad?
    If this virtual stoning of this obviously in need of help woman that caused her to retreat into isolation (always a bad and dangerous thing) was the very stress event that caused her to act out her rage upon this innocent child?
    You do realize that those woman who harm a child are often those who have been cast out by a society that judges them and abandons them because their very existence is so distasteful to them? If you’ve judged and convicted her, and her own husband is of little help……. I am curious as to what/who you think can save this situation?
    what does real help look like.
    I bet it looks a lot like compassion.
    I’ve read the blog…I know it’s horrible and heartbreaking to read. I know she clearly should not be in care of this child. But, you cannot save/help someone if you are looking down your nose at them. just consider.