Grief

I watched President Obama’s farewell address last night, and it brought me to tears.  His eloquence, wisdom, grace, humility, and integrity run in sharp contrast to the man who spoke this morning, which brought me to tears for very different reasons.  This whole thing is unfathomable to me; it’s like we are living in some alternate reality.

Then I go on social media and see people expressing glee (I do not exaggerate) about Obama leaving office and Trump entering.  And this, too, is unfathomable to me.

This goes far beyond just having different political ideologies.  I can accept that not everyone is a liberal Democrat like I am.  What I cannot accept is anyone being able to dismiss or rationalize the repeated and continued obnoxious, vile behavior Trump engages in.  This is not a matter of politics or differences of opinion, it’s a matter of human decency, and it speaks volumes to me about a person’s own ethics and integrity if they can support a man who has done and said all the things that Donald Trump has done and said.

I cannot understand support for a man who has openly mocked a disabled person.  Do not tell me that’s not what he did, because it’s an insult to anyone with a shred of decency to claim that what he did was not mocking that disabled reporter.  I have a disabled son, and Trump’s derision for the disabled (he’s also openly called people “retarded”), given his platform, invites more derision for disabled people.  How can anyone be okay with this?

I cannot understand support for a man – especially by women! – who has so blatantly demeaned women.  He has a long history of objectifying and demeaning women, and of sexual assault.  And these are not just speculation or incidents open to interpretation – they are well documented and usually based upon actual recordings of Trump himself speaking.  I am a woman, and I have daughters.  How can anyone who is female, or who cares about a female, see past his egregious treatment of women?

I cannot understand support for a man who has insulted pretty much every racial minority group.  His openly racist views not only further marginalize minorities, they embolden prejudice in others.  This is not in any way unifying to our country – it’s divisive.

I cannot understand support for a man who is so dishonest and lacking in integrity.  He changes his story like most people change their underwear.  He has a well-documented history of cheating and defrauding people.  He lies, he denies.  He’s already broken numerous campaign promises – and he hasn’t even taken office yet.  How can anyone believe that a man like this is going to be good for America?

I cannot understand support for a man who is so utterly immature.  He seems to believe that it’s perfectly okay – even admirable – to criticize anyone in the world except him.  He cannot take criticism.  He has no filter and no self-control.  He takes to Twitter to defend himself and insult anyone with whom he has an ax to grind like a spoiled nine-year-old.  He refuses to be held accountable or to take responsibility for anything.  He throws blame hither and thither like confetti in the wind.  He has no humility.  He will bring no grace or class to the White House because he has none.

Franky, I cannot understand support by Christians of a man who speaks and behaves in a way that is so utterly counter to what Jesus apparently taught.  I am not a Christian, but supposedly Jesus was this upstanding man awash in humility and compassion, whose teachings were all about love and compassion.  So how do Christians square this with their support of Trump?  It is beyond me.

So, no – this is not just about different politics or different opinions.  It’s about basic decency.  It’s about how the person you support for the highest office in the land reflects your own feelings about your fellow human beings.

I have no respect at all for Trump supporters.  None.

Comments

comments

13 Responses to Grief

1. Amy January 11, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

Thank you. I can’t type his name. So He who shall be not named has brought me anxiety and heartburn since the start of 2016. The fact that he won the EC just flattens me.
    Barack And Michelle Obama have brought nothing but class, intelligence and real ness to the White House and our country. I cried during his speech last night because it was everything that makes our country what it is. The orange thing the opposite and scares the living crap out of me.
    I pray that he is found unable to take the oath and Pence by association can’t take the oath. It’s a fantasy, I know.
    XO

• Kristi McGrew January 11, 2017 at 7:32 pm #

I can’t say the name either, least of all with President in front of it. “He which cannot be named is totally appropriate.

2. Rashmi S January 11, 2017 at 4:08 pm #

So well expressed, as usual. I cannot imagine a single person who would have allowed this to happen, let alone 62 million of them. 🙁 I could be living in a bubble but at least its a kind and decent one.
    (I love your writing. I read it as soon it pops into my email!)

• Lisa January 11, 2017 at 4:46 pm #

Thank you, Rashmi.

3. Debbie Mitchell January 11, 2017 at 6:07 pm #

Well-stated, Lisa. I feel the same. I have NO respect for the man, and especially, for the Americans who put him there. I have literally severed ties with people over this. As you said- a vote for ignorance, hatred and narcissism speaks volumes about the person who casts the vote. It sure seems to me that those who voted for Clinton were voting for what was best for the whole, for the people, and for democracy. And those who voted for Trump were selfish, angry people who thought his policies would benefit them personally. Shame on those people.

• Lisa January 11, 2017 at 6:29 pm #

Exactly.

• Sheila January 12, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

That really is it in a nutshell, Debbie.
      As always, well said, Lisa.

4. Kristi McGrew January 11, 2017 at 7:38 pm #

I feel EXACTLY the same. Thank you for expressing my own feelings so well. Unfathomable is the word.

5. Sue January 12, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

Yup. couldn’t agree more.
    How are the pussy hats coming?

• Lisa January 12, 2017 at 1:29 pm #

I made 14 pussyhats and shipped them to D.C. last week.

• Sue January 13, 2017 at 11:27 am #

You rock! I will be there!

6. Patricia January 14, 2017 at 6:15 pm #

I feel like you just read my mind. I am a Christian, minority woman and I am utterly shocked at the support Mr. Trump has received from these three groups.

7. Kalerae January 15, 2017 at 2:31 pm #

As a Canadian, I am shocked, saddened, scared and feeling a wave of uncertainty. While so much of our countries, policies and laws are different, we are intrinsically linked via trade, partnerships and sharing the largest border. Everything Obama managed to do with the employment rate, healthcare, marriage equality, LGBTQ rights made me finally think “about effing time the US form with the times….” only to see my neighbour come crashing down. I would never have thought this would happen and the world is a scarier place for it. A girl in my community (has dual US/Cdn).is pro D-rump. And after he won she was a holier than thou muther-effer and someone asked her “why not move back to the US then?” She honestly replied that she wouldn’t want to give up her healthcare or access to affordable post-secondary education for her kids….she lost all my respect. As does everyone else who justifies the vitriol that comes out of his mouth and calls it up to locker- talk or just shooting the shit. That arsehole is the worst human being and will go down in history as the Kim Jong of the West. Part of me wishes for a coup, revolution or something that rights the ship of your country. Because right now it’s sinking